What is .925 Sterling Silver?

What is .925 Sterling Silver?

Silver has long been valued as a precious metal and is a great choice for jewellery that is both timeless and on-trend. When buying silver items you have probably seen the words Sterling Silver, but how is that different to Fine Silver or Silver Plated? And which one is the best? Read our detailed informative guide to find out…

.925 Silver Vs Silver

The difference between .925 Sterling Silver and Pure Silver:

Fine Silver, sometimes called Pure Silver, is 99.9 % silver with a tiny amount of another mental, often copper or nickel added. Fine Silver is very soft and not often used for everyday jewellery because it will bend and scratch easily.

Sterling Silver is an alloy made of 92.5% silver, with the remainder 7.5% made up of another metal, usually copper. This combination makes the metal much stronger and more durable. The jewellery created with it will be harder wearing and more scratch-resistant. Sterling Silver has the appearance of solid silver and is often stamped with 925 or .925 to represent the percentage of real silver used.

Is Sterling Silver the Same as Silver Plated?

No, Silver Plated means that the item is made from another metal, which is coated with a thin layer of Sterling Silver on top. Silver Plated jewellery tends to be cheaper than Sterling Silver and if you wear it in water and don’t care for it properly the plating will eventually rub off.

Caring for your Sterling Silver Jewellery

Sterling Silver can tarnish, but don’t worry, our guide to cleaning your Silver jewellery will help you keep it looking it’s best.

Keep your Sterling Silver jewellery in tip-top condition by following our handy tips for cleaning, storing and travelling here.

Shop our stunning range of stylish Sterling Silver Necklaces, Bracelets, Rings and Earrings.

Have you considered creating that extra special piece? Simply send us a photo of that treasured card or note that you’ve saved over the years and select a beautiful item for us to carefully extract and engrave it onto. Whether you’d like a Handwriting Necklace, Handwriting Bracelet or maybe even a Keyring or Frame, we’ve got something for everyone.